28 December 2010

Lost Images



Last Saturday, i shot a lovely couple of Daud & Umi. It started as a normal wedding job but ...

Why must there be a but? Because, I learned something new on that day. Actually, I was forced to swallow a bitter pill. No, not the blue ones..

It had been a habit of mine to let Adobe Photo Downloader to automatically delete all the files stored on the memory card after successfully been downloaded to my hard drive.

Normally, things will go on as you expect. But not today.

After shooting about 70+ images of solo potraits of Umi, the arrival of Daud and his family members, some group shots and the "Makan Beradat" or the official lunch of the newly wed, I went on to shoot a trio of Umi's family member.

After snapping the image, I took a glance at the camera's screen for a quick confirmation that it's properly exposed. To my horror, I saw an unfamiliar message being displayed.

The camera was unable to communicate with the I quickly turn off the camera's and re-insert the . Unfortunately, this does not help. I, then, grab my backup memory card from my ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket (luckily I bought the extra cards along) a continue to shoot the trio without them noticing the disaster that had just happened.

To cut the story short, I did inform Daud & Umi of the incident and told me not to worry much about what had happened, as long as the images of them having the "Makan Beradat" images are intact. I was crossing my fingers, praying and gave them a "I hope so" smile at the same time.

Yesterday, after much recovery effort (about 4 hours of googling, downloading, scanning the card and so on), I only manage to get back 25 intact images out of the 75. Most of them are the "Makan Beradat" images. As for the memory card , it's back to life after formatting it via the camera.

So, if you are a paid photographer or just doing it as a hobby. There were two important lessons in today's post.

1. Always format the memory card via the camera after you had downloaded them to the computer.

2. Always bring along your backup equipment - camera body, lens and flashes and of course, and batteries.

*One of the recovered image

1 comment:

  1. Fabric Steamer is a powerful, yet portable, fabric and clothes steamer for all of your steaming needs. Our Turbo Steam takes only 45 seconds to heat up and to start generating steam and its steam delivery system evenly distributes steam across fabrics to remove even the worst wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete